The Florida swing of the PGA Tour continues this week in Ponte Vedra Beach for the Players Championship at TPC Sawgrass. When talking about the Stadium Course at TPC Sawgrass, one of the first things to come to mind is the island-green par-3 17th hole. This iconic hole can giveth and taketh away a Players Championship title. Here are 15 numbers that you need to know about the island green ahead of this week’s event.
1. 78: The island green’s length in feet.
2. 100,000: The estimated number of balls that are retrieved from the surrounding water every year.
3. 137: The length of the 17th in yards, which is the shortest of any hole at TPC Sawgrass.
4. 169: The scoring average on the par-3 17th hole.
5. 14: The handicap number it plays at on the Stadium Course.
6. 7: The percentage of scores that end in double bogey or worse at this hole, the highest of any at TPC Sawgrass.
7. 9: The percentage of scores that result in bogeys at the island green.
8. 68: The percentage of scores that result in par on the par-3 17th hole.
9. 16: The percentage of scores that end in birdie on this hole.
10. 29: The number of double bogeys accumulated on the island green last year, the most of any hole on the course.
11. 4: The depth in feet of the water that surrounds the island green.
12. 10: The number of cameras that NBC and Golf Channel have used for the hole.
13. 60: The distance in feet of Tiger Woods’ famous “Better than Most” birdie putt in the 2001 Players Championship.
14. 8: The number of holes-in-one at the island green.
15. 54: The number of balls that landed in the water during last year’s tournament.