The caddies may have lost their $50 million class-action lawsuit against the PGA Tour, but their lawyers aren’t done fighting.
Rick Meadows of Lanier Law Firm told GOLF.com he has yet to regroup with the caddies to discuss next steps but still leveled a sharp critique of the way the PGA Tour has treated them.
“We are disappointed with the ruling, and our clients are considering all their legal options,” Meadows said. “As the court clearly noted, the PGA Tour has treated our clients poorly. Sadly, this is yet another instance where a giant corporation is making millions of dollars on the backs of its workers, literally in this case.”
United States District Judge Vince Chhabria dismissed the caddies’ lawsuit with prejudice on Tuesday, deciding that while the caddies’ complaint of poor treatment “has merit,” their core contention that the Tour has reduced them to “human billboards” by forcing them to wear bibs displaying corporate logos does not.
Each of the 168 caddies who joined the original suit must now decide individually whether to appeal, and at least one key figure is already moving on.
James Edmondson, who carries three-time Tour winner Ryan Palmer’s bag and serves as the president of the Association of Professional Tour Caddies, told GOLF.com that he doesn’t plan to appeal.
“I respect the court’s decision and do not plan to go any further with it,” Edmondson said.
The PGA Tour, meanwhile, issued a statement expressing its eagerness to put the conflict in the past.
“We are aware of the ruling made in our favor regarding the lawsuit filed last year by caddies and are pleased by the court’s decision. We look forward to putting this matter behind us and moving forward in a positive direction with the caddies.”
Whether the legal battle continues, the fight appears far from over.
“Regardless of the eventual outcome, our clients are hopeful that the issues raised by this litigation and resulting public awareness will bring positive changes in how caddies are viewed and treated by the PGA Tour,” Meadows said.