Courses, Kuchar and more! GOLF’s 11 most-read stories of 2019
The year 2019 had a little bit of everything. We laughed, we cried, rules were broken and controversy ran wild. Oh, and Tiger Woods won the Masters, too.
We here at GOLF.com covered all of it, but what stories do you click on the most? Sometimes it’s a surprising mix. Here are our most-read stories of 2019.
11. Matt Kuchar made a hole-in-one and everybody made the same joke | READ
While this story by itself maybe doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, scroll down and read our third-most-read story and perhaps it will all click.
10. Jeremy Roenick tells an absolutely epic Michael Jordan golf gambling story | READ
If there’s one thing people love it’s Michale Jordan gambling stories. There are lots of them, and all of them — including this one about MJ having fun on the links before dominating on the hardwood later that night — are gold.
9. President Trump won a club championship without actually playing in it | READ
It’s well known that President Donald Trump loves to play golf (and is quite good at it, too), but it’s also pretty common knowledge he loves to boast about his accomplishments. This victory of winning a club championship, however, happened without him even playing in the tournament.
8. Watch Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy take rips with this 40-year-old metal driver | READ
To celebrate TaylorMade’s 40th anniversary, staffers Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy, Dustin Johnson, Jon Rahm and Jason Day ripped an updated version of the company’s Pittsburgh Persimmon, better known as the metal wood that changed how drivers were constructed. It was a joy to watch.
7. Brooks Koepka fires back after Brandel Chamblee’s latest criticism | READ
There was a whole lot of Brooks Koepka vs. Brandel Chamblee this year, but in this specific beef Koepka fired back — and took a (light-hearted?) dig at Chamblee’s game — after the Golf Channel analyst criticized Koepka for being in McIlroy’s line of sight during a round.
6. The 11 most exclusive golf clubs in the world | READ
This headline says it all. If you can snag a round at one of these beauties, congrats, because we are jealous.
5. How long can you use a golf ball before noticing a performance drop off? | READ
It’s a good question. As for the answer? Click on the link to find out. Too bad most of us lose balls in the long rough or water before we have to worry about this, though.
4. People are freaking out about Tiger Woods’ new shirt logo at the Masters | READ
Tiger Woods rocked a “Frank” Nike polo during his Masters press conference and it generated a ton of buzz. Oh, and if you want to learn more about Frank, the most famous headcover in the world, check out this recent deep dive we did.
3. ‘They can keep their money’: Kuchar’s fill-in caddie breaks silence over payment dispute | READ
What was a somewhat controversial year for Matt Kuchar started here, when our Michael Bamberger reported that his fill-in caddie at the 2018 Mayakoba Classic, which Kuchar won, wasn’t paid what he thought he was supposed to receive.
2. Five surprising golfers who just lost their PGA Tour cards | READ
Sometimes we take for granted seeing the same names year in and year out on the PGA Tour. But don’t get too comfortable with some of them. Exemptions run out and some players are left scrambling to find their way back on the big Tour.
1. GOLF’s Top 100 Courses in the World 2020-21 | READ
We unveiled our new and improved Top 100 Courses in the World ranking in November. It’s must-read material for any golf fan. You apparently thought so as well.