This week's heroes? Jimmy Walker, Lexi and Vijay. Zeros? "Opening Day," Bill Clinton and Wozzilroy
1. Jimmy Walker. He is, without a doubt, the best astronomical photographer ever to win on the PGA Tour. A 62-66 weekend is proof that a golf course can also be his canvas.
2. Lexi. No one thought it’d take this long, but the teen queen won her second LPGA tournament, a resounding performance that hopefully heralds a new era. Because Lydia Ko needs a wingman.
3. Vijay. He didn’t quite close the deal at the Frys, but I love that this 50 year-old Hall of Famer wants to keep grinding on the PGA Tour instead of cashing in against the Seniors. He has enough dough, but the chance for further glory is fleeting.
4. Max Homa. The Cal standout top-tenned at the Frys in his pro debut, punching his ticket to Vegas. This is the one thing I like about the Fall Series, or whatever it’s now called: a chance for young talent to shine.
5. Michael McCoy. This spunky 50 year-old beat all the whippersnappers to take the U.S. Mid-Am. Somewhere Bobby Jones is smiling. (And hopefully the little invitational he founded will honor McCoy with an invite.)
1. “Opening Day.” Could you feel the buzz for the opening of the “new” season? Me, neither. Wake me when we get to the HSBC. Or, better yet, Kapalua.
2. Bubba (Clinton, that is). He spoke at the opening of Tiger Woods Learning Center, but Woods has never deigned to grace Clinton’s tournament in Palm Springs. Now our former President has teed it up with Rory, but will McIlroy play the Hope with it being opposite Abu Dhabi? Guess where the smart money is.
3. Brooks Koepka. The well-traveled young Floridian has won in Spain, Italy, Portugal and Scotland on his tour of duty on the Challenge and Euro tours but things are a little different here in 'Merica: Koepka couldn’t convert a 54-hole lead at the Frys, bogeying four of the last ten holes. But something tells me the kid will have another chance, and soon.
4. pgatour.com. This is an actual headline from Monday: “Walker takes early FedEx Cup lead.” Kill me now.
5. Wozzilroy. If the latest reports are true, golf’s cutest couple is kaput. I would never begrudge a young man his freedom, but this isn’t necessarily good news for Rory’s golf game -- swinging bachelorhood would be just one more distraction in a year full of them.