From Golf Magazine ClubTest 2012 (May, 2012)
Category: Better-Player Fairway Woods
WE TESTED: 3 (15°), 4 (16.5°), 5 (18°) with Aldila RIP Sigma 70 graphite shaft
KEY TECHNOLOGIES: The combination of a titanium cup face and heavier steel body place the center of gravity deeper and higher for improved launch and a more boring ball flight. Multiple face thicknesses help increase the trampoline effect for faster ball speeds and longer distance.
OUR TESTERS SAY: All-around strong performer with high marks for playability and accuracy.
PLAYABILITY: One of the best for shaping shots, especially draws; makes playing out of the rough child’s play.
ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS: On solid hits, one of the most accurate in the test; good at correcting directional misses on all but the worst shots.
DISTANCE: Typical Tour Edge bomber from the tee, it carries a long way; a few testers say they can use it instead of a driver on short par 4s.
FEEL: Well balanced through the swing and powerful through the ball; a nice crisp crack at impact.
LOOK: Sits square at address and frames the ball well; simple, sleek black clubhead with no graphic alignment aid is a crowd-pleaser.
Some testers find the penetrating trajectory too low; not as much feedback at impact as a few guys might like.
Find The Clubs For YouGolf.com has teamed up with GolfTEC and Golfsmith to offer you several custom-fitting options in your area.
Videos More Videos
- Was Hack Golf a Failure?
- The Shop: TaylorMade R15 Driver
- Rotate For Straighter Shots
- Tour Confidential: Will Phil Mickelson at ASU Start a Pro-Coaching Trend?
- The Shop: Cleveland CG Black Irons
- Deep Thoughts: Brittany Lang on Her Idol and Greatest Accomplishments
- Help Wanted! Why Adam Scott's Caddie Will Have Golf's Best Gig
- Is Bubba Watson Now the Best American Golfer?
- Lou Guzzi: Perfecting a Knockdown Shot
- Tour Confidential: Is Bubba More Popular Than Rickie?