From Golf Magazine ClubTest 2012 (May, 2012)
Category: Better-Player Fairway Woods
WE TESTED: 3 (15°), 4 (16.5°), 5 (18°) with Aldila RIP Sigma 70 graphite shaft
KEY TECHNOLOGIES: The combination of a titanium cup face and heavier steel body place the center of gravity deeper and higher for improved launch and a more boring ball flight. Multiple face thicknesses help increase the trampoline effect for faster ball speeds and longer distance.
OUR TESTERS SAY: All-around strong performer with high marks for playability and accuracy.
PLAYABILITY: One of the best for shaping shots, especially draws; makes playing out of the rough child’s play.
ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS: On solid hits, one of the most accurate in the test; good at correcting directional misses on all but the worst shots.
DISTANCE: Typical Tour Edge bomber from the tee, it carries a long way; a few testers say they can use it instead of a driver on short par 4s.
FEEL: Well balanced through the swing and powerful through the ball; a nice crisp crack at impact.
LOOK: Sits square at address and frames the ball well; simple, sleek black clubhead with no graphic alignment aid is a crowd-pleaser.
Some testers find the penetrating trajectory too low; not as much feedback at impact as a few guys might like.
Find The Clubs For YouGolf.com has teamed up with GolfTEC and Golfsmith to offer you several custom-fitting options in your area.
Videos More Videos
- Tour Confidential: What Impact Will Tiger's Absence Have on Golf?
- How To Blast It Like Bubba
- Hack Golf: Could a 15-Inch Cup Save Golf?
- Masters 2014: Why You Should Believe in Bubba Watson
- Bubba's Hilarious Response to Question About Last Year's Masters
- Jordan Spieth on Masters Runner-Up Finish: "It Stings"
- A Mechanic Win Would Alter Golf History
- No Asterisk Necessary
- How To Hit Those Masters Shots That Fly Long and High Then Land Soft
- Confidential: Biggest Masters Heartbreaks