From Golf Magazine ClubTest 2012 (April, 2012)
Category: Max Game-Improvement Irons
Price: $299, steel; $399, graphite
WE TESTED: 3-PW with True Temper Dynalite Gold steel shaft
KEY TECHNOLOGIES: This progressive set has offset long irons (3-5) that feature long blade lengths, thick soles and deep undercut cavities for forgiveness and higher launch. The scoring irons have shorter blades, smaller undercut cavities, more bounce and less offset.
OUR TESTERS SAY: A workhorse (no bells and whistles) that suits recreational golfers.
PLAYABILITY: Typical ball flight is a high, slight draw; adequate on chip shots; sole weight helps to cut easily through heavy rough.
ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS: Oversize head and sole weighting reduce severity of directional misses; anti-right clubs, substantial offset and weighting make this an option for slicers.
DISTANCE CONTROL: These deliver consistent, repeatable lengths.
FEEL: Stable, head-heavy feel throughout the swing.
LOOK: Utilitarian appearance; meaty topline and wide, beefy sole give the club a substantial presence; big cavity is well hidden at address.
Lacks carry distance; impact feel is too dull; average stopping power on greens.
Find The Clubs For YouGolf.com has teamed up with GolfTEC and Golfsmith to offer you several custom-fitting options in your area.
Videos More Videos
- How To Blast It Like Bubba
- Hack Golf: Could a 15-Inch Cup Save Golf?
- Masters 2014: Why You Should Believe in Bubba Watson
- Bubba's Hilarious Response to Question About Last Year's Masters
- Jordan Spieth on Masters Runner-Up Finish: "It Stings"
- A Mechanic Win Would Alter Golf History
- No Asterisk Necessary
- How To Hit Those Masters Shots That Fly Long and High Then Land Soft
- Confidential: Biggest Masters Heartbreaks