From Golf Magazine ClubTest 2012 (May, 2012)
Category: Better-Player Fairway Woods
WE TESTED: 3 (15.5°) with Aldila RIP Phenom 70 graphite shaft
KEY TECHNOLOGIES: An adjustable sole plate and hosel allow for 24 different combinations of face angle and loft to meet individual shot-shape and trajectory demands. The club’s center of gravity location—low and more forward than in R11—leads to faster ball speeds and distance. The white crown eliminates glare and aids alignment.
OUR TESTERS SAY: One of the higher-rated woods. Provides excellent feel qualities.
PLAYABILITY: Plenty of workability to play the shot you want, such as a boring ball into the wind; booming flight off the tee; stronger swingers benefit most off the fairway.
ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS: Adjustable head suits various swing types and straightens ball flight; ample directional forgiveness; pinpoint accuracy on good swings.
DISTANCE: Above-average off the tee; not a monster but definitely not short.
FEEL: Top-shelf impact sensation—sturdy through impact, and the soft, slightly muted feel is a favorite.
LOOK: Pleasing, traditional shape; white finish shows up well on the fairway.
A few testers want a bit more length on good hits from the fairway; white head with black shaft bothers some guys.
Find The Clubs For YouGolf.com has teamed up with GolfTEC and Golfsmith to offer you several custom-fitting options in your area.
Videos More Videos
- How To Blast It Like Bubba
- Hack Golf: Could a 15-Inch Cup Save Golf?
- Masters 2014: Why You Should Believe in Bubba Watson
- Bubba's Hilarious Response to Question About Last Year's Masters
- Jordan Spieth on Masters Runner-Up Finish: "It Stings"
- A Mechanic Win Would Alter Golf History
- No Asterisk Necessary
- How To Hit Those Masters Shots That Fly Long and High Then Land Soft
- Confidential: Biggest Masters Heartbreaks