From Golf Magazine ClubTest 2012 (April, 2012)
Category: Better-Player Irons
Price: $799, steel; $999, graphite
WE TESTED: 3-PW, UW, SW with Ping CFS steel shaft
KEY TECHNOLOGIES: A progressive set design optimizes performance—larger long irons provide higher launch and greater forgiveness, while compact short irons provide more control. Stabilizing bars in the cavities contribute to improved feel and distance control.
OUR TESTERS SAY: One of the top-rated models in the test. A strong performer across the board and a standout in accuracy/forgiveness.
PLAYABILITY: A straight hitter that can be worked both ways with relative ease; half shots and knockdowns are simple to play; excels in nasty lies.
ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS: As good as it gets in this category; all but the very worst swings result in acceptable direction and distance; some testers swear by the long irons.
DISTANCE CONTROL: Several testers hit these longer than their current model; off-center hits lose little distance, so club selection is a snap.
FEEL: Pleasing, predictable feedback; the head is so stable through the swing; provides a softer sensation than many Ping irons in the past.
LOOK: Satin finish limits glare; sits nice and square at address; appears slim at setup to be so forgiving.
A few guys prefer a bit more feedback on mis-hits so there’s a bigger difference with center hits; chip shots feel too hot to a small minority of guys.
Find The Clubs For YouGolf.com has teamed up with GolfTEC and Golfsmith to offer you several custom-fitting options in your area.
Videos More Videos
- Golf Media: What Does Fox Have in Store?
- Play Like the Pros: Conquering the Long, Scary Par 3
- Rules: Ball Pops Out When Flag Is Removed
- Confidential: Is Being Tiger's Coach the Best or Worst Job in Golf?
- Gary Player: What Every Great Putter Agrees On
- Derek Ernst on His Favorite Courses and Prized Possessions
- Confidential: Is Tiger's Scandal Still Looming Over Him?
- Chris Como on Coaching Style and the Value of Instruction
- The Shop: TaylorMade R15 Driver