From Golf Magazine ClubTest 2012 (May, 2012)
Category: Better-Player Hybrids
Price: $189, graphite
WE TESTED: 17°, 20°, 23° with TFC 707H graphite shaft
KEY TECHNOLOGIES: The slim, compact head delivers a more penetrating trajectory than the i15 due to a more forward (closer to the face) center of gravity, which reduces spin. Its sole—more camber from front to back than the i15—is versatile enough to handle heavy grass or tight lies.
OUR TESTERS SAY: One of the highest-rated hybrids in its class. It ranks among the best in show in appearance, playability and feel.
PLAYABILITY: Workable in either direction and handles thick or thin lies; propels balls out of the rough with no problem.
ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS: Dispersion tends to remain fairly tight.
DISTANCE: Above-average length; shots out of the rough travel almost as far as those hit off the short grass; distance on heel and toe shots is masked fairly well.
FEEL: Top-shelf impact sensation—balls hit on the sweet spot feel lively and strong; head is super stable and sturdy through impact; no jarring sensation to the hands on mis-hits.
LOOK: Smaller head with an all-black matte finish gives it a stealthy, menacing look; finish reduces glare and helps you focus on the ball.
Smaller head demands that players hit the sweet spot consistently for best results; a few higher-single-digit-handicappers find the 17° hard to hit off the fairway.
Find The Clubs For YouGolf.com has teamed up with GolfTEC and Golfsmith to offer you several custom-fitting options in your area.
Videos More Videos
- PGA Tour Confidential: Can Tiger Woods Still Close?
- Blair O'Neal: Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Dave Pelz: Roll Putts Fast ... Or Try Dying
- Anna Rawson: The Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Rory McIlroy Wants To Keep PGA Championship in U.S.
- Holly Sonders: Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Club Campestre: The Mexican Course That Survived The Cartels
- The Lighter Side Of Tiger Woods
- PGA Tour Confidential: What To Expect From Tiger in 2014
- Bubba: Why You Shouldn't Practice
- Old Tom Morris, New Style Icon?
- Natalie Gulbis: Most Beautiful Women in Golf