From Golf Magazine ClubTest 2012 (May, 2012)
Category: Better-Player Fairway Woods
WE TESTED: Strong 3 (14°), 3 (15°), 5 (18°) with TFC 707F graphite shaft
KEY TECHNOLOGIES: The i20 offers more workability than i15 woods because the center of gravity (CG) in i20 is closer to the shaft axis. The CG is also farther back in the head, which contributes to a higher MOI (more forgiveness) and a slightly higher ball flight than the i15.
OUR TESTERS SAY: One of the top-rated clubs. A strong performer in all categories.
PLAYABILITY: Able to vary trajectory and shot shape easily, especially off the tee; it can be played from the rough effectively with relative ease.
ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS: Masks misses in both directions better than most models; stable head puts shots on the mark when struck well and seems to resist twisting on mis-hits.
DISTANCE: Many testers find it longer than their own clubs; the 14° model is a true bomber off the tee.
FEEL: Firm and powerful at impact; nice and springy with plenty of feedback through the ball.
LOOK: Flat-black finish is a big hit; subtle alignment aid on crown helps at address without being distracting.
Some testers get noticeably better distance off the tee than from turf; stiff flex shaft leads to lower trajectory than a few guys prefer.
Find The Clubs For YouGolf.com has teamed up with GolfTEC and Golfsmith to offer you several custom-fitting options in your area.
Videos More Videos
- Confidential: Hall of Fame Criteria
- Hot Tip From a Hot Golfer: Renee Skidmore
- Check Out Cleveland's CG Black Driver
- Use the 'Belly Wedge' Like Sang-moon Bae
- Dave Pelz: Splash It Close With A Simple Swing
- Confidential: Will New Ryder Cup Task Force Help?
- Ask the Rules Guy: Standing Water Within Bunker?
- Pitch It High, Land It Soft
- Hot Tip From a Hot Golfer: Natalie Gulbis