From Golf Magazine ClubTest 2012 (May, 2012)
Category: Better-Player Fairway Woods
WE TESTED: Strong 3 (14°), 3 (15°), 5 (18°) with TFC 707F graphite shaft
KEY TECHNOLOGIES: The i20 offers more workability than i15 woods because the center of gravity (CG) in i20 is closer to the shaft axis. The CG is also farther back in the head, which contributes to a higher MOI (more forgiveness) and a slightly higher ball flight than the i15.
OUR TESTERS SAY: One of the top-rated clubs. A strong performer in all categories.
PLAYABILITY: Able to vary trajectory and shot shape easily, especially off the tee; it can be played from the rough effectively with relative ease.
ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS: Masks misses in both directions better than most models; stable head puts shots on the mark when struck well and seems to resist twisting on mis-hits.
DISTANCE: Many testers find it longer than their own clubs; the 14° model is a true bomber off the tee.
FEEL: Firm and powerful at impact; nice and springy with plenty of feedback through the ball.
LOOK: Flat-black finish is a big hit; subtle alignment aid on crown helps at address without being distracting.
Some testers get noticeably better distance off the tee than from turf; stiff flex shaft leads to lower trajectory than a few guys prefer.
Find The Clubs For YouGolf.com has teamed up with GolfTEC and Golfsmith to offer you several custom-fitting options in your area.
Videos More Videos
- Tour Confidential: What Impact Will Tiger's Absence Have on Golf?
- How To Blast It Like Bubba
- Hack Golf: Could a 15-Inch Cup Save Golf?
- Masters 2014: Why You Should Believe in Bubba Watson
- Bubba's Hilarious Response to Question About Last Year's Masters
- Jordan Spieth on Masters Runner-Up Finish: "It Stings"
- A Mechanic Win Would Alter Golf History
- No Asterisk Necessary
- How To Hit Those Masters Shots That Fly Long and High Then Land Soft
- Confidential: Biggest Masters Heartbreaks