From Golf Magazine ClubTest 2012 (May, 2012)
Category: Game-Improvement Fairway Woods
WE TESTED: 3 (15°), 4 (16.5°), 5 (18°), 7 (21°) with Ping TFC 169F graphite shaft KEY TECHNOLOGIES: The stainless steel head is larger from front to back than the G15 and has a larger (by 3.5 percent) variable-thickness face. The by-product is higher-trajectory shots, more forgiveness and an improved ability to maintain consistently high ball speeds across the hitting area.
OUR TESTERS SAY: The highest-rated fairway woods. Chart-topper combines distance and forgiveness in a single package.
PLAYABILITY: High, repeatable flight goes straight and lands softly on greens; easy to use off tight lies or teed up; moves shots in both directions.
ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS: Superior forgiveness—shots fly straight and don’t veer wildly off-course; some draw-bias minimizes fades.
DISTANCE: Some testers say it’s consistently longer than others; mishits wind up as shots you’d play all day.
FEEL: Definite differences between solid hits and mis-hits; sweet-spot hits feel effortless, mis-hits aren’t overly harsh.
LOOK: Head sits very low to the ground, letting you know that the ball will get up; easy-to-see alignment aid.
A few testers find it less impressive from thick rough; regular-flex shaft is surprisingly soft to a handful of guys.
Find The Clubs For YouGolf.com has teamed up with GolfTEC and Golfsmith to offer you several custom-fitting options in your area.
Videos More Videos
- The Lighter Side Of Tiger Woods
- Dave Pelz: Roll Putts Fast ... Or Try Dying
- Holly Sonders: Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Club Campestre: The Mexican Course That Survived The Cartels
- PGA Tour Confidential: What To Expect From Tiger in 2014
- Blair O'Neal: Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Bubba: Why You Shouldn't Practice
- Old Tom Morris, New Style Icon?
- Natalie Gulbis: Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- PGA Tour Power Tip: Use Your Hips Like Harris English
- Anna Rawson: The Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Who's The Best Player Right Now?