From Golf Magazine ClubTest 2012 (April, 2012)
Category: Max Game-Improvement Irons
Price: $599, steel; $699, graphite
WE TESTED: 4-AW with True Temper Dynalite 90 steel shaft
KEY TECHNOLOGIES: The stainless steel body attaches to a lively, 455 Carpenter steel face. Its “NexCOR” variable facethickness technology— thickest in the middle, thinnest toward the perimeter—creates faster ball speeds. Thirty percent of the club’s total mass is in the rear “PowerBow” to increase launch and generate a higher MOI for faster ball speeds on heel or toe hits.
OUR TESTERS SAY: One of the highest-rated irons. It fares well in look, feel and distance.
PLAYABILITY: Ball flight is on the higher side with right-to-left bias; the heads blast shots out of the rough; surprisingly nimble around greens.
ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS: Sizable face covers up directional misses; thin shots go higher than expected and fat shots are virtually nonexistent.
DISTANCE CONTROL: Very consistent yardages; several guys see noticeable gains versus their sticks on good shots.
FEEL: Center hits are powerful, solid, almost forged-like; you can sense the weight transfer to the ball.
LOOK: More game-improvement styling than max game-improvement irons.
A few guys find the heads too heavy to square up; minority of testers complain that grips are too slick in dry conditions.
Find The Clubs For YouGolf.com has teamed up with GolfTEC and Golfsmith to offer you several custom-fitting options in your area.
Videos More Videos
- PGA Tour Confidential: Can Tiger Woods Still Close?
- Blair O'Neal: Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Dave Pelz: Roll Putts Fast ... Or Try Dying
- Anna Rawson: The Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Rory McIlroy Wants To Keep PGA Championship in U.S.
- Holly Sonders: Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Club Campestre: The Mexican Course That Survived The Cartels
- The Lighter Side Of Tiger Woods
- PGA Tour Confidential: What To Expect From Tiger in 2014
- Bubba: Why You Shouldn't Practice
- Old Tom Morris, New Style Icon?
- Natalie Gulbis: Most Beautiful Women in Golf