From Golf Magazine ClubTest 2012 (May, 2012)
Category: Game-Improvement Hybrids
Price: $159, graphite
WE TESTED: 3 (21°) with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki K graphite shaft
KEY TECHNOLOGIES: “NexCOR” technology is an ultra-thin, hot Carpenter 465 steel face with multiple thicknesses that helps to create faster rebound (ball speeds) and maximize length on off-center hits. The face attaches to the body (“L-Face technology”) in a way that broadens the high-COR area where most shots are struck.
OUR TESTERS SAY: Good, workmanlike sticks, but they don’t stand out in any category.
PLAYABILITY: These produce a consistent medium ball flight; sidehill lies are no problem for the VR_S.
ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS: Good swings are rewarded with accurate shots straight down the target line.
DISTANCE: These are on par with testers’ current hybrids.
FEEL: Weight of the head maintains stability through impact, giving a crisp, clean feel on contact; the club lets you know when you’ve struck a ball poorly, both in feel and sound.
LOOK: Dark gray head and silver/gray shaft give it a traditional look; neutral cosmetics without gimmicks.
A few testers want more help/control on mis-hits; a minority of guys
Find The Clubs For YouGolf.com has teamed up with GolfTEC and Golfsmith to offer you several custom-fitting options in your area.
Videos More Videos
- Play Like the Pros: Conquering the Long, Scary Par 3
- Rules: Ball Pops Out When Flag Is Removed
- Confidential: Is Being Tiger's Coach the Best or Worst Job in Golf?
- Gary Player: What Every Great Putter Agrees On
- Derek Ernst on His Favorite Courses and Prized Possessions
- Confidential: Is Tiger's Scandal Still Looming Over Him?
- Chris Como on Coaching Style and the Value of Instruction
- The Shop: TaylorMade R15 Driver