From Golf Magazine ClubTest 2012 (April, 2012)
Category: Game-Improvement Irons
Price: $999, steel
WE TESTED: 4-AW with Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH HT steel shaft
KEY TECHNOLOGIES: This forged cavity back iron has a bigger head, thicker sole and more forgiveness than the VR Forged. The two-piece head has a 1025 carbon steel body and a thin, “springy” forged carbon steel face to boost ball speeds across the entire face.
OUR TESTERS SAY: One of the top-rated irons in its class. High marks for playability and look. A fine choice for shotmakers who want a more forgiving game-improvement head.
PLAYABILITY: Can move the ball left or right, the latter of which is a lost art with most game-improvement clubs; performs well on tightly mown fairways.
ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS: Added bulk offers plenty of support on thin shots.
DISTANCE CONTROL: Solid hits put a charge into it that few others can match; length is well preserved on slight heel or toe hits.
FEEL: Typical forged feel—center hits are effortlessly crisp and soft; head weight moves nicely through the shot.
LOOK: Traditional player’s profile married to a midsize head; what you wish all game-improvement irons would look like.
Doesn’t offer quite as much correction as some other game-improvement clubs; noticeable stinging sensation on mis-hits; grips feel slick to a few testers.
Find The Clubs For YouGolf.com has teamed up with GolfTEC and Golfsmith to offer you several custom-fitting options in your area.
Videos More Videos
- Club Campestre: The Mexican Course That Survived The Cartels
- PGA Tour Confidential: What To Expect From Tiger in 2014
- Blair O'Neal: Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Bubba: Why You Shouldn't Practice
- Old Tom Morris, New Style Icon?
- Holly Sonders: Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Natalie Gulbis: Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- PGA Tour Power Tip: Use Your Hips Like Harris English
- Anna Rawson: The Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Who's The Best Player Right Now?
- Better By Saturday: Lou Guzzi's Chopping Wood Drill
- How To Add Freedom To Your Swing For Better Ball-Striking