From Golf Magazine ClubTest 2012 (April, 2012)
Category: Better-Player Irons
Price: $899, steel
WE TESTED: 3-PW with True Temper Dynamic Gold XP steel shaft
KEY TECHNOLOGIES: The 3-5 irons are built with a “pocket cavity” for higher-trajectory shots, while the 6-PW have a smaller “split cavity” for enhanced control and workability. High-frequency grooves, which are deeper and closer together, further enhance control and consistency.
OUR TESTERS SAY: This strong performer provides consistent distance, shotmaking ability, and pleasing feel.
PLAYABILITY: Testers can hit all kinds of shots at will; they’re very good around the greens and out of the rough; long irons are easy to hit.
ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS: Put a good swing on these and shots go exactly where you want; swings that are just a bit off with mid- and short irons still produce decent direction.
DISTANCE CONTROL: Similar distances to testers’ current clubs; can easily throttle up or down for more or less length; not a huge loss on mis-hits.
FEEL: Well-struck shots feel comfortable, smooth and soft at impact, and mis-hits aren’t too jarring; nice sensation around the greens.
LOOK: Classic shape and understated graphics; thin topline, but not knifelike, gives you more confidence at address.
Long irons can be too unforgiving; some testers find that the high number of scoring lines clutters the look; a few guys prefer last year’s Pro Combo.
Find The Clubs For YouGolf.com has teamed up with GolfTEC and Golfsmith to offer you several custom-fitting options in your area.
Videos More Videos
- Club Campestre: The Mexican Course That Survived The Cartels
- PGA Tour Confidential: What To Expect From Tiger in 2014
- Blair O'Neal: Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Bubba: Why You Shouldn't Practice
- Old Tom Morris, New Style Icon?
- Holly Sonders: Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Natalie Gulbis: Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- PGA Tour Power Tip: Use Your Hips Like Harris English
- Anna Rawson: The Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Who's The Best Player Right Now?
- Better By Saturday: Lou Guzzi's Chopping Wood Drill
- How To Add Freedom To Your Swing For Better Ball-Striking