From Golf Magazine ClubTest 2012 (May, 2012)
Category: Game-Improvement Hybrids
Price: $159, graphite
WE TESTED: 2/H (17°), 3/H (19°), 4/H (22°), 5/H (25°), 6/H (28°) with Graphite Design Tour AD graphite shaft
KEY TECHNOLOGIES: The club’s shallow face combines with tungsten-weighted rails for a lower, deeper center of gravity, a higher ball flight and added forgiveness. Each head has a Carpenter 465 steel face for a hotter, livelier feel and greater ball speeds. Two alignment lines along the crown help to aim the club.
OUR TESTERS SAY: One of the top hybrids tested. A pleasure to hit—it’s long and very forgiving.
PLAYABILITY: It’s a very versatile club that can get at just about any ball in any lie; high yet penetrating flight that’s fairly easy to shape in either direction.
ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS: Shots fly as straight as a string when you strike it well; surprisingly forgiving on toe misses.
DISTANCE: Behaves like a hybrid, but is every bit as long as a fairway wood; impressive carry helps several testers pick up as much as 10 yards versus comparably lofted hybrids.
FEEL: Nice solid “click” at impact; weighty head feels stable and delivers a lot of power into the ball at impact.
LOOK: The shallow face, thick sole and oversize profile inspire confidence at address; the bright yellow lines against the black crown make aiming a snap.
The neon yellow grip doesn’t appeal to some testers; the higher ball flight can be a detriment for a small minority of guys in windy conditions.
Find The Clubs For YouGolf.com has teamed up with GolfTEC and Golfsmith to offer you several custom-fitting options in your area.
Videos More Videos
- Club Campestre: The Mexican Course That Survived The Cartels
- PGA Tour Confidential: What To Expect From Tiger in 2014
- Blair O'Neal: Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Bubba: Why You Shouldn't Practice
- Old Tom Morris, New Style Icon?
- Holly Sonders: Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Natalie Gulbis: Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- PGA Tour Power Tip: Use Your Hips Like Harris English
- Anna Rawson: The Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Who's The Best Player Right Now?
- Better By Saturday: Lou Guzzi's Chopping Wood Drill
- How To Add Freedom To Your Swing For Better Ball-Striking