From Golf Magazine ClubTest 2012 (April, 2012)
Category: Game-Improvement Irons
Price: $699, steel; $799, graphite
WE TESTED: 4-GW with True Temper Dynalite 90 steel shaft
KEY TECHNOLOGIES: The long and midirons (3-7) boast a strong 17-4 stainless steel face that’s 10 percent thinner (and hotter) than in the S3 for faster ball speeds. The “V-skid” sole has more bounce in the front-center section, plus toe and heel relief, for improved turf interaction.
OUR TESTERS SAY: High marks for feel. A solid choice for players seeking some playability without sacrificing forgiveness.
PLAYABILITY: Consistent high ball flight; the sole excels in soft conditions and is fairly versatile from all lies.
ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS: Above-average correction—approach shots typically stay within chipping range; sole grind helps to resist fat shots.
DISTANCE CONTROL: Respectable length throughout the set, even on mis-hits.
FEEL: A solid thump on center hits; mis-hits provide a fair amount of feedback.
LOOK: Deep cavity is well hidden at address, giving the AMP a more traditional player’s look; fluorescent orange highlights.
A few testers prefer friendlier, less demanding long irons; color scheme could be toned down a bit; the AMP isn’t the easiest for shaping shots.
Find The Clubs For YouGolf.com has teamed up with GolfTEC and Golfsmith to offer you several custom-fitting options in your area.
Videos More Videos
- PGA Tour Confidential: Can Tiger Woods Still Close?
- Blair O'Neal: Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Dave Pelz: Roll Putts Fast ... Or Try Dying
- Anna Rawson: The Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Rory McIlroy Wants To Keep PGA Championship in U.S.
- Holly Sonders: Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Club Campestre: The Mexican Course That Survived The Cartels
- The Lighter Side Of Tiger Woods
- PGA Tour Confidential: What To Expect From Tiger in 2014
- Bubba: Why You Shouldn't Practice
- Old Tom Morris, New Style Icon?
- Natalie Gulbis: Most Beautiful Women in Golf