From Golf Magazine ClubTest 2012 (May, 2012)
Category: Better-Player Hybrids
Price: $189, graphite
WE TESTED: 2/H (17°), 3/H (19°), 4/H (22°) with Aldila RIP graphite shaft
KEY TECHNOLOGIES: The club’s “adjustable flight technology” (AFT) consists of three face angle settings (1.5° open, neutral, 1.5° closed). The “open” setting causes shots to fly lower with less spin, while the closed setting creates a higher flight with more spin. The 455 maraging steel clubface is lighter and hotter than standard 17-4 stainless steel faces.
OUR TESTERS SAY: These clubs are pretty good tools despite lacking a serious look.
PLAYABILITY: Extremely easy club to hit; typical flight is a high, soft draw; cuts through thick rough very well, like a tiny lawnmower; some testers find that the adjustable head helps make the club quite versatile.
ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS: Provides a good degree of help; most shots stay somewhere in the ballpark.
DISTANCE: Respectable carry lengths comparable to testers’ own clubs.
FEEL: A light, well-balanced club to swing; the grips are soft, tacky and easy on the hands; nice impact feel—nothing harsh or stinging on mis-hits.
LOOK: Clubhead appears smaller than most; silver head, gray shaft and bright orange grip definitely stand out.
The color scheme looks cheap to many testers; it appears to have more offset than several guys prefer; not versatile enough
for some testers because it’s too difficult to work left to right.
Find The Clubs For YouGolf.com has teamed up with GolfTEC and Golfsmith to offer you several custom-fitting options in your area.
Videos More Videos
- Golf Media: What Does Fox Have in Store?
- Play Like the Pros: Conquering the Long, Scary Par 3
- Rules: Ball Pops Out When Flag Is Removed
- Confidential: Is Being Tiger's Coach the Best or Worst Job in Golf?
- Gary Player: What Every Great Putter Agrees On
- Derek Ernst on His Favorite Courses and Prized Possessions
- Confidential: Is Tiger's Scandal Still Looming Over Him?
- Chris Como on Coaching Style and the Value of Instruction
- The Shop: TaylorMade R15 Driver