From Golf Magazine ClubTest 2012 (May, 2012)
Category: Better-Player Fairway Woods
WE TESTED: 3 (15°), 4 (16.5°), 5 (18°) with Aldila RIP graphite shaft
KEY TECHNOLOGIES: The AMP combines clubhead adjustability, a 30 percent larger effective hitting area than Cobra’s previous fairway wood, and a distinct bulge and roll design to enhance accuracy. The head’s thin-wall design shifts 15 grams lower and deeper to improve launch conditions and distance.
OUR TESTERS SAY: Dependable all-around performer tailored visually to the younger crowd.
PLAYABILITY: Adjustable head allows for customized trajectory and curvature; glides through different lies; adequate shot-shaping ability.
ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS: Tee shots are on-the-money accurate on tight par 4s; it typically does a good job holding the line on heel or toe hits.
DISTANCE: Many testers get similar length as their own clubs, if not a bit more; above average off the tee.
FEEL: Solid hits create a strong and stable sensation; misses don’t feel significantly worse than good shots.
LOOK: Slightly larger head provides confidence; contrast between silver head and black face frames the ball.
Less workable than some others; a few guys get a dull response at impact; look (silver head, gray shaft, orange grip) can be a deal-breaker.
Find The Clubs For YouGolf.com has teamed up with GolfTEC and Golfsmith to offer you several custom-fitting options in your area.
Videos More Videos
- PGA Tour Confidential: Can Tiger Woods Still Close?
- Dave Pelz: Roll Putts Fast ... Or Try Dying
- Anna Rawson: The Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Holly Sonders: Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Club Campestre: The Mexican Course That Survived The Cartels
- The Lighter Side Of Tiger Woods
- PGA Tour Confidential: What To Expect From Tiger in 2014
- Blair O'Neal: Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Bubba: Why You Shouldn't Practice
- Old Tom Morris, New Style Icon?
- Natalie Gulbis: Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- PGA Tour Power Tip: Use Your Hips Like Harris English