From Golf Magazine ClubTest 2012 (April, 2012)
Category: Better-Player Irons
Price: $999, steel
WE TESTED: 3-PW with True Temper Dynamic Gold steel shaft
KEY TECHNOLOGIES: Forged 1025 carbon steel heads designed with a Tour-inspired shape and V-sole, thin topline and minimal offset for enhanced shotmaking and versatility. The milled “Tour Zip” grooves push the limits of USGA regulations to provide optimal spin, while four microgrooves between each scoring line deliver maximum allowable surface roughness.
OUR TESTERS SAY: One of the top-rated irons. Classy look, lots of playability and moderate forgiveness make these a fine choice.
PLAYABILITY: Very responsive to controlling shape and trajectory; short irons perform very well around the greens, and half- and three-quarter shots are easy to execute; playable in all turf conditions.
ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS: Scalpel-like precision on solid strikes; for a workable club, mis-hits don’t seem to produce excessive sidespin.
DISTANCE CONTROL: Just what testers expect with no surprises—overall yardages are consistent but average; excels at less than full-length shots.
FEEL: Plenty of feedback transmitted to the hands; well-balanced throughout the swing with a click at impact.
LOOK: Attractive package with chrome finish, clean lines and square setup.
They can feel a bit harsh on mis-hits; some testers see noticeable distance loss on shots away from the sweet spot.
Find The Clubs For YouGolf.com has teamed up with GolfTEC and Golfsmith to offer you several custom-fitting options in your area.
Videos More Videos
- Make Better Putts By Using Billy Horschel's Grip
- Confidential: Ryder Cup vs. Masters
- Hot Tip From a Hot Golfer: Christy Yun
- Two Tips to Change Direction Like Billy Horschel
- Alan Shipnuck: Why Team USA Will Win 2014 Ryder Cup
- Confidential: Who Should Be the U.S. Ryder Cup Team's New 'Mascot'?
- Play Like The Pros: Here's How To Take A Low Round To The House
- Deep Thoughts: Chris Kirk on Guts and Guitars