From Golf Magazine ClubTest 2012 (April, 2012)
Category: Max Game-Improvement Irons
Price: $699, steel; $899, graphite
WE TESTED: 3-PW with Callaway RAZR X graphite shaft
KEY TECHNOLOGIES: Thirty grams is redistributed to the back cavity to produce the distance and forgiveness of a wide-sole club and the versatility of a thin-sole iron. VFT face technology adds speed across a greater portion of the face for more distance on off-center hits.
OUR TESTERS SAY: One of the higher-rated clubs. Very strong marks for distance, accuracy and feel.
PLAYABILITY: Easy to hit high and straight; large, heavy head bulldozes its way through rough; rounded sole resists digging.
ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS: Does a great job limiting sidespin and keeping shots in play.
DISTANCE CONTROL: Off-center hits fly almost as far as good ones; shots into greens check up well.
FEEL: Soft, powerful, compressed feel on flush hits; head provides stability and little aftershock on poor hits.
LOOK: Meaty head gives you confidence that the ball will pop out from any lie; with its two white grooves, the face is easy to aim.
The club’s straight to natural draw flight makes it difficult for some testers to manufacture left-to-right shots; the bulky look, thickish topline and progressive offset don’t suit everyone’s eye.
Find The Clubs For YouGolf.com has teamed up with GolfTEC and Golfsmith to offer you several custom-fitting options in your area.
Videos More Videos
- Deep Thoughts With Sergio Garcia
- Go Longer With the New Nike Covert Irons
- Tumble Like Rory to Knock Your Fairway Woods Pin High
- 'In Conversation With': Richard Kind and David Morse on Acting and Golf
- Learn Walker's 'Spider-Man' Move
- Tour Confidential: Match Play Event In Trouble?
- 'In Conversation With' Preview: Richard Kind and David Morse
- Tour Confidential: Why 'Caddyshack' Endures
- Deep Thoughts With Jason Day
- Johnny Miller: 3 Tour Trends That Need To End Now!