From Golf Magazine ClubTest 2012 (April, 2012)
Category: Better-Player Irons
Price: $799, steel; $999, graphite
WE TESTED: 4-PW with True Temper M-10 XP steel shaft
KEY TECHNOLOGIES: RAZR technology shifts weight lower and deeper in the head and provides greater forgiveness and accuracy. An integrated clubface/undercut cavity design allows for optimal CG locations and faster ball speeds.
OUR TESTERS SAY: A forgiving iron with plenty of offset that mid-handicappers could play.
PLAYABILITY: Provides a relatively high ball flight and is quite easy to hit right-to-left; long irons get shots airborne with ease.
ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS: Quite accurate and easy to hit on line; mishits get a lot of help, especially toe hits.
DISTANCE CONTROL: Fairly consistent distances, with a reasonable gap between clubs.
FEEL: Very stable through impact due to ample weight; surprisingly soft, slightly muted sensation on solid hits.
LOOK: The large sole and cavity are well hidden at address; compact head and dark finish are a good blend of tradition and fashion.
Too much offset for many testers in this category; the finish seems to wear off the face, which is off-putting to some; impact feel lacks excitement.
Find The Clubs For YouGolf.com has teamed up with GolfTEC and Golfsmith to offer you several custom-fitting options in your area.
Videos More Videos
- A Remote Course Worth the Gamble
- Deep Thoughts With Lee Westwood
- First Look: Trump Golf Links Ferry Point
- Confidential: Hall of Fame Criteria
- Ask the Rules Guy: The Prickly Contrarian
- Hot Tip From a Hot Golfer: Renee Skidmore
- Pitch It High, Land It Soft
- Dave Pelz: Splash It Close With A Simple Swing
- Confidential: Will New Ryder Cup Task Force Help?