From Golf Magazine ClubTest 2012 (May, 2012)
Category: Game-Improvement Fairway Woods
Price: $199, graphite
WE TESTED: 4 (17°), 5 (19°), 7 (21°) with Callaway RAZR X Black graphite shaft
KEY TECHNOLOGIES: The large stainless steel heads have VFT face technology that leads to faster ball speeds across more of the face. Callaway employs an advanced heattreatment method that allows for an ultra-thin face. The shallow face makes the club easy to hit from a variety of lies.
OUR TESTERS SAY: One of the most accurate and bestlooking woods. Suits mid- and highhandicappers in search of forgiveness.
PLAYABILITY: The 4- and 5-woods have a penetrating, medium to low trajectory that is useful off the tee, on long par 3s and short par 4s; the 7-wood is great at extracting balls from the heavy stuff.
ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS: Oozes with forgiveness—even less than stellar swings produce very playable results; solid hits track the pipeline all the way. DISTANCE: Dependable carry and roll, although not a certifiable bomber.
FEEL: Comfortable, cushioned feel at impact; solid contact delivers metallic “click” sound, nothing clunky or weak.
LOOK: Traditional wood design with a sleek black head, shallow face and low profile; Callaway chevron on the crown makes alignment easy.
Slightly lower flight than a few guys prefer; a small minority believes it sounds tinny and feels marginally too heavy.
Find The Clubs For YouGolf.com has teamed up with GolfTEC and Golfsmith to offer you several custom-fitting options in your area.
Videos More Videos
- Hot Tip From a Hot Golfer: Renee Skidmore
- Dave Pelz: Splash It Close With A Simple Swing
- Confidential: Will New Ryder Cup Task Force Help?
- Use the 'Belly Wedge' Like Sang-moon Bae
- Check Out Cleveland's CG Black Driver
- Ask the Rules Guy: Standing Water Within Bunker?
- Pitch It High, Land It Soft
- Hot Tip From a Hot Golfer: Natalie Gulbis
- Confidential: #TeamPhil or #TeamTom?
- Confidential: How to Get Excited for the New Season