From Golf Magazine ClubTest 2012 (April, 2012)
Category: Better-Player Irons
Price: $699, steel (set of six)
WE TESTED: 5-PW with Project X Flighted steel shaft
KEY TECHNOLOGIES: The heads are forged from 1020 carbon steel for enhanced feel. It has a taller face progression for more Tour-like control, and offers versatility from a variety of lies due to “relief” in the heel, toe, leading edge and trailing edge.
OUR TESTERS SAY: A feel-oriented forging that provides respectable, if unspectacular, performance.
PLAYABILITY: Very nice, maneuverable clubs work from many lies; provide a controlled medium trajectory.
ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS: Good accuracy on solid swings, almost point and shoot; there’s just enough forgiveness to let you hit different shots and be creative without having to be perfect with your ballstriking.
DISTANCE CONTROL: Consistent from club to club—distances are typically what you’d expect; adequate length on center strikes.
FEEL: Strong and sturdy at impact; mis-hits don’t sting, they feel soft; lots of head feel but not too heavy; plenty of head weight to power through impact.
LOOK: Very nice classic shape with well-hidden game-improvement features; they set up square, making them easy to align.
Not as long as some other clubs; one group of testers finds considerable distance loss on off-center hits; leading edge is sharper than some would like.
Find The Clubs For YouGolf.com has teamed up with GolfTEC and Golfsmith to offer you several custom-fitting options in your area.
Videos More Videos
- Confidential: Ryder Task Force - Overkill?
- Confidential: Hall of Fame Criteria
- Hot Tip From a Hot Golfer: Renee Skidmore
- Check Out Cleveland's CG Black Driver
- Use the 'Belly Wedge' Like Sang-moon Bae
- Dave Pelz: Splash It Close With A Simple Swing
- Confidential: Will New Ryder Cup Task Force Help?
- Ask the Rules Guy: Standing Water Within Bunker?
- Pitch It High, Land It Soft
- Hot Tip From a Hot Golfer: Natalie Gulbis