From Golf Magazine ClubTest 2012 (April, 2012)
Category: Better-Player Irons
Price: $699, steel (set of six)
WE TESTED: 5-PW with Project X Flighted steel shaft
KEY TECHNOLOGIES: The heads are forged from 1020 carbon steel for enhanced feel. It has a taller face progression for more Tour-like control, and offers versatility from a variety of lies due to “relief” in the heel, toe, leading edge and trailing edge.
OUR TESTERS SAY: A feel-oriented forging that provides respectable, if unspectacular, performance.
PLAYABILITY: Very nice, maneuverable clubs work from many lies; provide a controlled medium trajectory.
ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS: Good accuracy on solid swings, almost point and shoot; there’s just enough forgiveness to let you hit different shots and be creative without having to be perfect with your ballstriking.
DISTANCE CONTROL: Consistent from club to club—distances are typically what you’d expect; adequate length on center strikes.
FEEL: Strong and sturdy at impact; mis-hits don’t sting, they feel soft; lots of head feel but not too heavy; plenty of head weight to power through impact.
LOOK: Very nice classic shape with well-hidden game-improvement features; they set up square, making them easy to align.
Not as long as some other clubs; one group of testers finds considerable distance loss on off-center hits; leading edge is sharper than some would like.
Find The Clubs For YouGolf.com has teamed up with GolfTEC and Golfsmith to offer you several custom-fitting options in your area.
Videos More Videos
- Play Like the Pros: Conquering the Long, Scary Par 3
- Rules: Ball Pops Out When Flag Is Removed
- Confidential: Is Being Tiger's Coach the Best or Worst Job in Golf?
- Gary Player: What Every Great Putter Agrees On
- Derek Ernst on His Favorite Courses and Prized Possessions
- Confidential: Is Tiger's Scandal Still Looming Over Him?
- Chris Como on Coaching Style and the Value of Instruction
- The Shop: TaylorMade R15 Driver