From Golf Magazine ClubTest 2012 (May, 2012)
Category: Game-Improvement Fairway Woods
Price: $199, graphite
WE TESTED: 3 (15°) with Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 65 graphite shaft
KEY TECHNOLOGIES: The stainless steel Fast 12 is bigger (a 7 percent larger footprint) and more forgiving (a 12 percent higher MOI) than the Speedline Fast 11. Updated “velocity slots” in the crown and sole produce, on average, 0.5 to 1 mph faster ball speeds. The shaft’s coarse texture, called “Speed Coat,” is supposed to reduce drag during the swing.
OUR TESTERS SAY: A real fairway finder for those guys who struggle hitting driver off the tee.
PLAYABILITY: Easy to produce gentle fades; balls launch in the air quickly from the fairway or tee and land softly.
ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS: A straight shooter; shots hold true to their line with minimal sidespin.
DISTANCE: Good length without putting a lot of effort into the swing; 3-wood is longer than several testers’ own club; loses little distance on off-center hits.
FEEL: Tender, weightless impact feel is often heard more than felt; a loud, powerful pop.
LOOK: Silver crown stands out against black shaft and face; the notch on the crown can be a helpful visual aid; roughcoated shaft doesn’t give off glare.
A few testers are turned off visually by the slot on the crown and the bland finish on the shaft and head; shots tend to hang to the right, and attempts to draw the ball often result in hard hooks.
Find The Clubs For YouGolf.com has teamed up with GolfTEC and Golfsmith to offer you several custom-fitting options in your area.
Videos More Videos
- Golf Media: What Does Fox Have in Store?
- Play Like the Pros: Conquering the Long, Scary Par 3
- Rules: Ball Pops Out When Flag Is Removed
- Confidential: Is Being Tiger's Coach the Best or Worst Job in Golf?
- Gary Player: What Every Great Putter Agrees On
- Derek Ernst on His Favorite Courses and Prized Possessions
- Confidential: Is Tiger's Scandal Still Looming Over Him?
- Chris Como on Coaching Style and the Value of Instruction
- The Shop: TaylorMade R15 Driver