From Golf Magazine ClubTest 2012 (May, 2012)
Category: Game-Improvement Fairway Woods
Price: $199, graphite
WE TESTED: 3 (15°) with Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 65 graphite shaft
KEY TECHNOLOGIES: The stainless steel Fast 12 is bigger (a 7 percent larger footprint) and more forgiving (a 12 percent higher MOI) than the Speedline Fast 11. Updated “velocity slots” in the crown and sole produce, on average, 0.5 to 1 mph faster ball speeds. The shaft’s coarse texture, called “Speed Coat,” is supposed to reduce drag during the swing.
OUR TESTERS SAY: A real fairway finder for those guys who struggle hitting driver off the tee.
PLAYABILITY: Easy to produce gentle fades; balls launch in the air quickly from the fairway or tee and land softly.
ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS: A straight shooter; shots hold true to their line with minimal sidespin.
DISTANCE: Good length without putting a lot of effort into the swing; 3-wood is longer than several testers’ own club; loses little distance on off-center hits.
FEEL: Tender, weightless impact feel is often heard more than felt; a loud, powerful pop.
LOOK: Silver crown stands out against black shaft and face; the notch on the crown can be a helpful visual aid; roughcoated shaft doesn’t give off glare.
A few testers are turned off visually by the slot on the crown and the bland finish on the shaft and head; shots tend to hang to the right, and attempts to draw the ball often result in hard hooks.
Find The Clubs For YouGolf.com has teamed up with GolfTEC and Golfsmith to offer you several custom-fitting options in your area.
Videos More Videos
- Club Campestre: The Mexican Course That Survived The Cartels
- PGA Tour Confidential: What To Expect From Tiger in 2014
- Blair O'Neal: Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Bubba: Why You Shouldn't Practice
- Old Tom Morris, New Style Icon?
- Holly Sonders: Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Natalie Gulbis: Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- PGA Tour Power Tip: Use Your Hips Like Harris English
- Anna Rawson: The Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Who's The Best Player Right Now?
- Better By Saturday: Lou Guzzi's Chopping Wood Drill
- How To Add Freedom To Your Swing For Better Ball-Striking