Adams Idea Super XTD Hybrid
From Golf Magazine ClubTest 2012 (May, 2012)
Category: Game-Improvement Hybrids
Price: $299, graphite
WE TESTED: 19° with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki AX 350 graphite shaft
KEY TECHNOLOGIES: The club has a light titanium crown and face (55 percent lighter than stainless steel) and heavier stainless steel sole plate to create a lower CG, faster ball speeds and lower spin rates. The club’s “velocity slots”—a titanium slot in the crown (52 percent more elastic than steel) and a stainless steel slot along the sole—lead to higher launch angle and higher ball speeds.
OUR TESTERS SAY: Good, dependable, all-around performer. High marks for playability and accuracy.
PLAYABILITY: Consistent, repeating, piercing flight cuts through the wind; performs quite well from trouble lies.
ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS: It does a good job of minimizing sidesp in and keeping balls in the fairway; deadly accurate on center hits.
DISTANCE: Some testers are 5 to 10 yards longer than they are with other models; preserves distance on off center hits; maintains length on recovery shots from the rough.
FEEL: Club feels stable through impact; well-proportioned weighting; testers sense that they’re striking the ball with nice momentum.
LOOK: Silver head combines with a black clubface and white/silver shaft.
The slot on the crown is distracting, even gimmicky, to many testers; a few guys prefer a crisper impact feel.
Find The Clubs For YouGolf.com has teamed up with GolfTEC and Golfsmith to offer you several custom-fitting options in your area.
Videos More Videos
- Was Hack Golf a Failure?
- The Shop: TaylorMade R15 Driver
- Rotate For Straighter Shots
- Tour Confidential: Will Phil Mickelson at ASU Start a Pro-Coaching Trend?
- The Shop: Cleveland CG Black Irons
- Deep Thoughts: Brittany Lang on Her Idol and Greatest Accomplishments
- Help Wanted! Why Adam Scott's Caddie Will Have Golf's Best Gig
- Is Bubba Watson Now the Best American Golfer?
- Lou Guzzi: Perfecting a Knockdown Shot
- Tour Confidential: Is Bubba More Popular Than Rickie?