The Gleneagles Course at The Equinox Resort
Manchester Village, Vermont
$49-$125; 802-362-7870, equinoxresort.com
• Rees Jones updated this 1926 Walter Travis design in 1992. The par-4 12th has a vista of a church steeple rising through the maples.
Sugarloaf Golf Club
Carrabassett Valley, Maine
$70-$120; 800-843-5623, sugarloaf.com
• Don't be lulled by the beauty of this 1986 Robert Trent Jones Jr. design it's sloped 151 from the tips because missing a fairway or green is fatal.
Taconic Golf Club
$145; 413-458-3997, taconicgolf.com
• Owned and operated by Williams College, this 1927 Wayne Stiles and John Van Kleek design offers a graduate level exam in thinking your way around a course.
Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello
$56-$78 (U.S.); 819-423-4653, fairmont.com/Montebello
• This sporty 78-year-old layout dishes out dramatic elevation changes and glorious views of the Laurentian Mountains.
Linville Golf Club
Linville, North Carolina
$115; 800-742-6717, eseeola.com
• Access to Linville is limited to guests of the Eseeola Lodge (rates start at $425, double occupancy), but it's worth the splurge in autumn to check out this 1924 Donald Ross design.