AP News

Snake saved after swallowing golf balls

BRISBANE, Australia (AP) — A snake was saved by surgery in Australia after mistaking four golf balls for chicken eggs, a veterinarian said Wednesday.

A couple had placed the balls in their chicken coop in New South Wales state to encourage their hen to nest, the Australian Associated Press reported.

The balls disappeared, and the couple found a lumpy-looking carpet python nearby.

They took the 32-inch nonvenomous snake to the nearby Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary, where senior veterinarian Michael Pyne operated to remove the balls from the snake's intestine.

The snake was making a speedy recovery, Pyne said.

"Those golf balls weren't moving any further. They were stuck where they were," Pyne said. "If it hadn't been found, it would have died for sure."

More From the Web
The most trusted name in sports is now the easiest way to stay informed—no matter where you are. At home, at work, or on the go, we have you covered.
check it out
This Way To…
Our one-touch menu gives you easy access to your favorite writers and sports, special sections, and more.
go deep…
Use this strip to access scores, schedules, or to lean back and enjoy our iconic photos and videos, daily live shows, and more.
then take a scroll…
We have more great content than ever.