From The Web

Scott up a stroke after this morning's play

Adam Scott, Second Round, St. Jude
Kyle Auclair/Getty Images
Adam Scott has four top 10s this season.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — Adam Scott is cruising along with fellow Australian Andrew Buckle close behind, ignoring the pain of blistered feet.

And John Daly?

At least his fans keep cheering even when his personal life is more thrilling than his game.

Scott shot a 4-under 66 that gave him a one-stroke clubhouse lead when darkness suspended the second round of the Stanford St. Jude Championship on Friday night, a bogey-free performance overshadowed by Daly telling police his wife woke him up by attacking him with a steak knife.

(Click here to read more about the incident.)

His lead stood when Buckle, among 26 players who returned Saturday morning to the TPC Southwind to finish the second round, stumbled on his final hole with a double bogey on the par-4 9th for a 66 that dropped him to 4 under.

That left the world's fourth-ranked golfer with the 36-hole lead at 7 under and a 133 total.

In an event featuring six of the top 12 golfers in the world, Buckle couldn't help looking at the scoreboard Friday, which might have helped him block out the blisters from playing 36 holes Monday in new shoes.

"It's cool to look at it and see what they've got going on up there with all the vision, pretty cool, yeah, always in front of you. You see them, but you're not really worried about it,'' Buckle said.

Brian Gay, who waited out the delay after putting his second shot on the green at No. 18, holed out from 45 feet for birdie and a 66 that left him a stroke back at 6 under. Fredrik Jacobson, who shared the first-round lead with Scott, was 3 under after a 70.

Two-time Memphis winner David Toms (68) was 2 under along with Duffy Waldorf (69), Brian Davis (68), Scott Verplank (69), Woody Austin (66). Among those who finished Saturday morning, Jose Maria Olazabal bogeyed his one hole for a 66 that dropped him to 1 under, but Brandt Snedeker parred his final two (68) and joined the tie at 2 under.

The suspension resulted after a three-hour delay for thunderstorms and forced 81 players making the cut at 5 over to start the third round with threesomes going off both the first and 10th tees to get back on schedule ahead of a clear weekend forecast.

Defending U.S. Open champ Geoff Ogilvy, at 9 over, was among those missing the cut.

Daly's personal problems surfaced just before the delay as people noticed red marks on both cheeks, almost as if he had been clawed, as he prepared to tee off on No. 1. The horn sounded, and he released a statement that Sherrie Daly attacked him Friday morning and was letting police investigate.

She wasn't around when deputies arrived after 6 a.m., so Daly was left to file charges if he wanted her arrested. A department spokesman said charges had not been filed as of late Friday afternoon.

Daly, playing on a sponsor's exemption, had two bodyguards with him as he shot a 74 that left him at 4 over and playing this weekend. He had fans cheering him as he had two double bogeys, five bogeys and five birdies.

Scott's round was impressive considering that 13 of the 75 with morning tee times broke par in wind that was why only seven players broke par Thursday. He had two holes left when play was suspended, and the rain softened the greens.

The Aussie, who has three of his victories when leading after 36 holes, had two birdies on each side thanks to his putter. He holed out from nearly 14 feet on No. 13 and sunk a 40-footer on No. 7 to drop to 7 under with the weather moving in.

"I was playing quite nicely at the time. It's never ideal, but it's something you have to get used to because we seem to do it a lot on tour. And you just have to learn to relax and take it for what it is and try to come out with a fresh mind,'' Scott said.

Buckle has struggled with some cracked ribs this year. He tied for fourth at the Buick Invitational but has missed five cuts since then. He said he's still struggling with his driver, but he needed only 20 putts, three 11 feet or longer in his seven-birdie, one-bogey round.

"We had no wind and soft greens, and the greens were pure,'' Buckle said.

Notes: Jeff Maggert became the first defending champion to miss the cut since Jim Gallagher Jr. in 1996. Maggert was 12 over after rounds of 73 and 79. Others missing the cut included Padraig Harrington (6 over) and Hank Kuehne (8 over) despite having tennis star Venus Williams cheering him Friday. ... Pablo Martin's pro debut could have gone better. He was at 6 over and missed the cut.

Forecast
PGA Tour News
Trips
Travel & Courses
Lessons
Tips & Videos
The Shop
Equipment News & Reviews