Duke defends decision to cut Giuliani's son
DURHAM, N.C. (AP) Duke University says former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani's son was properly dismissed from the golf team and was never promised a spot on the squad.
Andrew Giuliani sued Duke in July, claiming he was improperly cut from the team earlier this year and that the coach violated a contract he entered when he agreed to come to the university and pay $200,000 in tuition and fees.
But Duke said in a court filing Wednesday that the 22-year-old Giuliani was properly suspended after throwing an apple in the face of another player, breaking a golf club during a tournament, injuring a teammate and becoming verbally abusive with a coach.
Giuliani's lawsuit says allegations were fabricated as coach O.D. Vincent III tried to shrink the size of the team.