His signature line was, of course, a put-on. Rodney Dangerfield, who died October 5 at age 82, got plenty of respect. The New York-born comic had big fans in Caddyshack creators Brian Doyle-Murray, Doug Kenney and Harold Ramis, who had planned to cast Don Rickles as boorish Al Czervik until they saw Dangerfield kill on The Tonight Show.
“Rodney was fun to work with,” his Caddyshack co-star Chevy Chase told GOLF MAGAZINE. “He was an icon, a genuinely funny and warm man, much warmer than the public could have known.”
Dangerfield was also responsible for burning these lines into golf’s memory bank:
- “Oh, this is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. When you buy a hat like this, I bet you get a free bowl of soup. Oh, it looks good on you though…”
- “The last time I saw a mouth like that it had a hook in it.”
- “You’re a lot of woman, you know that? Hey, you wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?”
- “Tell the cook this is low-grade dog food. I tell you, this steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it.”
- “Oh, this is your wife, huh? A lovely lady. Hey baby, you’re all right. You must’ve been something before electricity.”