1. Gary Van Sickle. Not only can the dude write, he can play, too. Our man on the Tour just made it to match play at the Senior Amateur. As a competitor, not an observer.
2. Tim Finchem. Is he a good commissioner? Well, the likes of Bill Haas, Brandt Snedeker and Billy Horschel are worth $40 million or so more than they used to be, so he’s certainly making his constituents happy. I can’t wait for Finchem to retire and take over the Writers Guild!
3. Hyo Joo Kim. Yeah, she struggled a bit in the middle, but when you open a major with a 61 and birdie the 72nd hole to win, that’s as good as it gets, especially when you fight off Karrie Webb head-to-head. Oh, and did I mention Kim is 19?!
4. Ryder Cup bitchiness. We have nearly two weeks to luxuriate in the second-guessing of the timing of the captain’s selection and Tom Watson’s picks, but the juicy feud between Paul McGinley and Darren Clarke is currently getting a full airing in the European press. Ah, yes, bring on the bickering!
5. The Horschel baby. Nice work staying put, kid! Too bad it’s not going to be a boy — the perfect name would be Benjamin.
1. Karrie Webb. Brutal final hole to give away the Evian. But maybe it’s for the better — for a player to have won *six* different majors would not be a good look for the LPGA.
2. Rory. I get that he’s a little tuckered-out, but so is everybody else! The best player in the world simply can’t play a six-hole stretch in five over on Sunday afternoon with a tournament hanging in the balance. Rory is still the no-brainer POY and the two majors are all that really matter but if he had held on Sunday we’d be looking at the best year in golf since Tiger’s epic 2000….or spectacular 2006…or stellar 2005.
3. Greg Norman. Glad he’s okay after a scary chainsaw accident. There’s a ’96 Masters joke in there somewhere but I’m not going to make it.
4. Jim Furyk. Three back-nine bogies on Sunday doomed him yet again. I was actually hoping he would finish second and somehow win the FedEx Cup – it would have been the perfect coda to his Nearly Man career.
5. Stevie. He gets inducted into the Caddie Hall of Fame and is still bristling about Tiger. C’mon, man, who do you think got you into the Hall?!