2. Bubba. Is he the best lefty in golf right now? Sure, but there ain’t that much competition. Is he the best American? Amazingly, I’m forced to say yes.
3. Maria Hjorth. A classy weekend (67-67) led to a big win in Alabama and then an even classier move to donate a big chunk of her check to tornado victims. Despite their contracting tournament schedule these gracious LPGAers seemingly never tire of giving back.
4. Quail Hollow. Or, as the Hot List likes to call this week’s Tour stop, the fifth major.
5. Webb Simpson. I’m usually suspicious of guys with two last names, but he continues to show lotsa game. The youngster impressed with his class and composure after a tough-luck penalty may or may not have cost him a victory. Although, frankly, using a long putter is inviting bad karma.
1. Lee Westwood’s schedule. After beating up on weak sisters in Indonesia and Korea, what’s next, the Futures tour?
2. Lexi Thompson. The 16-year-old phenom got a very painful education on how hard it is to close the deal in the big leagues. Here’s hoping she’s a fast learner, because this talented teen has the potential to bring a ton of buzz to the LPGA.
3. Graeme McDowell. With his third missed cut in his last four starts last year’s POY is showing dangerous signs of PMS: Post-Major Syndrome. The remedy? Take a month off and call us when you relocate your short game.
5. John Smoltz. Hey, at least he broke 90.