1. Harvard Law. Eight lawyers were listed on the release trumpeting Tiger and Elin’s divorce. Each could probably crack the top 30 on the PGA Tour money list.
2. The FedEx Cup. We begin this week on a classy track (Ridgewood) with subplots galore: Ryder Cup spots and Player of the Year are up for grabs and Tiger’s search for his game takes on new urgency. As for the Fedex Cup points system, well, the less you think about it, the better.
3. The LPGA. Once in a great while the PGA Tour gets a bunch of top players on the same leaderboard. It happens every week on the LPGA. This time Ai Miyazato held off Kerr, Na Yeon Choi, Pettersen and Shin, with Miyazato reclaiming the number one ranking in this topsy-turvy, wildly entertaining year.
5. Arjun Atwal. A gritty win for a very likeable guy who’s been through his share of controversy. Maybe he can provide some inspiration for his beleaguered practice round buddy … Tiger Woods.
1. Padraig Harrington, Luke Donald, Paul Casey, Justin Rose. Each of these guys is fighting for a Ryder captain’s pick but chose to skip the final qualifying tourney at Gleneagles in favor of vacuuming up cash at the Barclays. This is the wrong year to play hooky; Monty has only three picks and other very strong candidates include Alvaro Quiros, Miguel Angel Jimenez and Edoardo Molinari.
2. John Daly. His buffoonery never ceases. He recently offered this in his, uh, defense for a suspicious W/D at the PGA: “I have quit plenty of times but never have I faked an injury and the guys here know it.” Like this proves he’s a stand-up guy?
3. Lucas Glover. Fighting for a spot on the Ryder Cup team — and to finally get another win after his surprise Open victory — G-Love went 29-38 on Sunday, blowing a golden chance to win in Greensboro. Even worse than his back-nine score was his pouty body language. Woe-is-me won’t get it done in Wales.
5. Tuesday night viewers. Tonight on “Shaq Vs.” O’Neal will team with AK to take on Bubba Watson and … Charles Barkley. And Golf Channel’s “Golf In America” has a long segment starring yours truly and a friend in our quest to become the first people to play/walk all four courses at Bandon Dunes in the same day. You’ve been warned.