Hot? Rory, Quiros and the game itself. Not? Tiger and Michelle
1. Golf. Oodles of young talent, some insane scores, a relentless Phil, endless intrigue about Tiger’s swing, back-to-back 5th majors, a new number one on the LPGA … is this any good?
2. Rory Mac. Love the hair, the strut, the swing. The kid is, quite simply, cool.
3. Jiyai Shin. The queen is gone. Long live the new queen.
5. Alvaro Quiros. One of the game’s most engaging personalities — and heaviest hitters — wins his national championship in a playoff and almost nobody noticed on one of the wildest Sundays in recent memory. But Quiros’s fourth career Euro tour win portends big things this summer.
1. The LPGA. Not only do they lose Lorena, but her farewell event was both a tear-jerker and a heart-stopper, featuring a bang-bang finish among top talents. And yet not a minute of it was televised here in the U.S.
2. Tiger. I expected him to be rusty. I never thought I’d see him quit.
3. Quail Hollow’s chances of hosting a major. I’m quite sure Phil Mickelson’s lambasting of the greens was heard loud and clear in PGA of America headquarters.
5. Michelle Wie. Still looking to follow-up on last fall’s breakthrough, she was one back on Sunday until making a horrendously soft double bogey on the 13th hole, taking four to get down from a greenside bunker. I’m still a believer, but she needs another win pronto.