1. Paddy. Just a little further perspective: the most prolific winners of the Woods epoch — Phil, Veej, and Ernie — each have won three career majors. Harrington has won that many in the last 13 months.
2. Donald Ross. The design god did Oakland Hills and now this week’s Tour event, the GGO, returns to Ross’s Sedgefield CC, a wonderful old track on which 11 Hall of Famers have won tournaments. Luckily, Rees Jones hasn’t touched this one.
3. U-grooves. Did you see that shot Sergio spun out of the weeds on number six on Sunday? How about Paddy’s 7-iron to the 72nd hole that stopped dead on a rollercoaster green? It’s almost like cheating, so enjoy ’em while you still can.
4. The FedEx Cup. Now that it’s only one week away I’m embarrassed to admit that I’m kinda excited to see how it’s going to play out, especially with four Ryder Cup spots up for grabs. I need some kind of golf detox program.
5. Shipnuck. I don’t like to brag, but yours truly picked Harrington to win the PGA in a first round Press Tent post. Usually you gotta call Dionne Warwick for that kind of clairvoyance.
1. Michelle Wie. At this week’s Canadian she suffers another humiliation in her last chance to secure an LPGA tour card for ’09. None of this has happened yet but I’m confident it will.
2. Art lovers. Luke Donald is out for the rest of the year with wrist surgery. Forget what this means for the Ryder Cup — it will be devastating if his painting is affected.
3. Paul Azinger. He has to pick four guys from among all these stiffs? Makes me long for 2006, when we had the likes of J.J. Henry and Vaughn Taylor to fill out the roster.
4. J.B. Holmes. Not only did he blow the PGA with that ugly 81 but now there’s no way Zing will pick him, either. Amazing how costly one bad day at the office can be.
5. Sergio. This is almost too easy. I haven’t had this much fun watching someone lose majors since Phil circa 2003.