1. Camilo Villegas. OK, now I’ll start buying into the hype.
2. Michelle Wie. After a career of being coddled and handed various entitlements, she is finally sucking it up and trying to earn her way onto the LPGA via Q School. Hopefully these are the first baby steps toward her reclaiming her career. Of course, given her star-crossed history, don’t count on it.
3. The Apprentice. Donald’s hair used to be the only anatomical reason to tune in. Now comes word that Natalie Gulbis will be making an appearance this season. Schwing.
4. Jonathan Byrd. The multiple winner on the PGA Tour is spending this week caddying for his big brother Jordan at the U.S. Mid-Am. So what if Jonathan forgot to bring a putter to the green twice during the first round — you gotta respect this kind of love of the game.
5. Greed. Now that he’s won the FedEx Cup, Vijay Singh is talking about joining the European tour next year so he can chase the big money of the Race for Dubai. Perhaps Gordon Gekko should be the next PGA Tour commish.
1. The Tour Championship. What’s the over/under on how many guys will bother to show up? My number is 22.
2. Veej. Yeah, I’d be grumpy too if I had just won $10 million. Throw in Phil’s hissy-fit last year and something about the FedEx Cup clearly puts these guys in a bad mood.
3. Jim Furyk. Along with Phil he’s supposed to be one of the Ryder Cup leaders, but he kicked away the BMW to remain winless in ’08, what’s shaping up as one of the worst years of his career. If Furyk doesn’t find himself the Yanks have zero shot at Valhalla.
4. Wine snobs. As if the list of golfers with their own wine labels wasn’t long enough — Arnold Palmer, Greg Norman, Nick Faldo, Ernie Els, David Frost, Mike Weir, etc. — now metrosexual Luke Donald has taken time out from painting and playing the piano to introduce his new vanity wine label. Me, I prefer a magnum of 2008 Tiger Gatorade.
5. Lee Westwood. Lingering tonsillitis has thrown into question his readiness for the Ryder Cup. Come next week, the American players will surely be wishing Sergio was the one who lost his voice.