1. Patrick Reed. Why is this is a surprise? He’s been a baller forever, leading his high school team to two state championships and then twice going 3-0 in match play at the NCAAs in leading Augusta State to two national championships. The stuff with his preggers wife is cute, but don’t be fooled — between the ropes, this baby-faced kid is a killer.
2. Miguel Angel Jimenez. Nobody tosses a club with more èlan.
3. Bubba. A runner-up finish at Doral, on the strength of a bogeyless final round, continued Watson’s hot streak as Augusta looms. Lefty has three green jackets; it’s not hard to imagine this lefty winning just as many.
4. Inbee Park. Women’s golf’s queen bee got her first win in eight months, blowing away world No. 2 Suzann Pettersen in a showdown in China. Here we go again.
5. Doral. The redesign looks great and provides a much more interesting and strategic test. But…
1. Doral. They were aware that it can be windy in Florida, right?
2. Jamie Donaldson. Trying to chase down Reed on the closing holes, this long hitter laid up on the 293-yard 16th hole, ultimately making a momentum-killing par. The only person who liked that play was Chip Beck.
3. Tiger. It’s sad to see him struggling so much, both physically and with a club in his hands. But maybe this is the best possible Masters prep — taking a few weeks off and just easing into the tournament instead of obsessing on the range about every swing position. Time will tell.
4. “The Snake Pit.” Gird yourself for endless talk about this three-hole stretch in Tampa. Which follows the endless talk about the Bear Trap and Blue Monster. What’s with all these hokey nicknames on the Florida Swing? Great courses don’t need marketing gimmicks.
5. Hunter Mahan. He had a great chance to end his victory drought, but four bogeys and a double on Sunday at Doral sent him tumbling down the leaderboard. At least he’s the healthiest of Sean Foley’s guys.