In a statement released on Thursday, Seve Ballesteros officially denied reports that he attempted suicide last month.
The 50-year-old Spaniard said he is doing fine despite rumors of a suicide attempt and heart problems.
“Due to increasing rumors centered on me that are being spread out mainly by the tabloid press, I wish to distribute this release to declare and confirm that I am doing perfectly well,” Ballesteros said. “In the past, falsehood about me was let out and I never answered back because I do not speak about my private life. If I do now it is because different twisted statements about my state of health have been circulating.”
The rumors surrounding Ballesteros’s personal life began when a Spanish television program alleged that the five-time major winner overdosed on pills after he was admitted to a hospital after the death of a close friend. The British tabloids took the story further, saying Ballesteros had also been tested for an irregular heartbeat.
“It is nothing too serious, and he is well enough to travel to next week’s Open Championship at Carnoustie,” said Ivan Ballesteros, Seve’s nephew and manager, referring to the health concerns. Ballesteros plans to attend the British Open but will not play.
Seve Ballesteros’s last win came in the 1995 Spanish Open. He pulled out of the U.S. Senior Open last week because of an unspecified wrist injury.