Innovators need not reinvent the game. They need
simply to improve it, whether it’s through creativity and commitment, kindness
and courage, or just good old-fashioned clever thinking.
This year’s recipients
represent all of these qualities and many more, from a putting teacher who helps
players improve through the use of state-of-the-art gadgets, to the grounds crews
that keep overplayed public courses ship-shape, to a golfer-cum-model who wants to give the
LPGA some much-needed buzz.
We fielded nominations from our friends at the USGA, PGA
of America, PGA Tour, National Golf Foundation, our own Top 100 Teachers in America, and
from you. We considered hundreds of candidates, whittling a long, worthy list down to these
eight winners, then let each recipient speak in his or her own voice. It’s our honor to celebrate
(Do you have a worthy candidate for next year’s Innovator Awards? Or do
you have comments about our selections? Write us at [email protected]).
The 2009 Golf Magazine Innovators
• The Green Pioneer: Robert Trent Jones Jr.
• The Man of the People: Justin Timberlake
• The Daily-Fee Heroes: The Greenskeeping Team at L.A.’s Rancho Park Golf Course
• The Idea Woman: Anna Rawson
• The Pro: Don Vickery
• The Philanthropist: Notah Begay
• The Alliance: The International Golf Federation
• The Putting Professor: Marius Filmalter