Tiger Woods in the final round of the 2012 Pebble Beach Pro-Am; he won't be back there next week. (Getty Images) Tiger Woods won't be returning to the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am next week after playing in the event last year, according to Ron Kroichick of the San Francisco Chronicle.
Woods, as expected, will not play in the upcoming AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, scheduled for Feb. 7-10 on the Monterey Peninsula. Tournament director Steve John confirmed Woods’ plans in an e-mail today.
“Much to our disappointment, Tiger will not be playing in the AT&T this year,” John wrote.
Woods returned to the AT&T last year for the first time since 2002. He played well for three days, planting himself in contention, and then faded with a final-round 75 alongside Phil Mickelson (who shot 64 to win).
Woods has not played the West Coast Swing events at both Torrey Pines and Pebble Beach since ’02, so his decision to return to Torrey this month didn’t bode well for Northern California golf fans.
Since Woods's caddie Joe LaCava told reporters that Woods won't be playing the Northern Trust Open in Los Angeles ("I tried to talk him into it," LaCava said), the Pebble announcement means that Woods's next start will be at the WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship on Feb. 20., an event he's won three times.
Woods is a creature of habit as well as notoriously choosy when it comes to Tour stops, so it appears his addition of Pebble Beach last year might have been a one-time-only appearance. According to the Chronicle, he has had issues with the tournament in the past.
He won the AT&T in 2000, with a memorable Monday comeback, but he soon grew disenchanted with the bumpy poa annua greens. Sketchy weather, long rounds and celebrity-driven crowds probably didn’t help.
Woods never specified why he chose to return last year, but it was widely rumored that he did so to fulfill a corporate obligation to AT&T, a onetime sponsor.