- Location: Sun Valley, ID
- Rooms: 108
- Courses: Two
- Amenities: 16 restaurants / yoga / pool / fitness center / meeting and event space
- Also good for: Best for Families
6 things you need to know
- Best time to go: Sun Valley’s golf season starts in late spring and runs through fall.
- Daily stay-and-plays start at: $259
- Golf experience: Two 18s (one by RTJ Jr.) and one nine-hole layout.
- Best non-golf amenity: Miles of mountain-biking trails from the top of Bald Mountain feature more than 3,000 feet of vertical drop.
- While you're there: Catch the Sun Valley on Ice summer ice show.
- Insider tip: The 18-hole Sawtooth Putting Course will jazz the whole family.
Sun Valley is best known for being a premier ski destination and at one time was a Mecca for the Hollywood elite, including Clarke Gable, Marilyn Monroe and many others. Since then it has grown to become a stellar year-round destination, with various outdoor pursuits and 45 holes of golf to enjoy after the snow melts. The highlight is the Trail Creek championship course, designed by Robert Trent Jones, Jr., that crosses the creek seven times on the front nine. Robert Trent Jones Sr. and Jr. collaborated on the Elkhorn course, an expansive 7,214-yard design with 100-plus bunkers and massive, undulating greens. The golf experience is capped off with a fun nine-holer dubbed White Clouds, featuring panoramic views of Bald Mountain, Dollar Mountain, the Pioneer Mountains, Angel’s Perch and the Devil’s Bedstead — former home to literary great Ernest Hemmingway. The off-course pursuit at Sun Valley are endless: fly fishing, sport shooting, hiking, swimming, biking, you name it. Accommodations, ranging from cottages to condos to lodges, suit whatever type of group you’re traveling with.