- Location: Princeville, HI
- Rooms: 251
- Courses: One
- Amenities: Three restaurants / spa / tennis / pool / beach
- Also good for: All-Around Excellence
6 things you need to know
- Best time to go: Anytime, though September and October are typically drier.
- Daily stay-and-plays start at: $400
- Golf experience: Makai GC will quickly deplete your vocabulary of adjectives with endless jaw-dropping views.
- Best non-golf amenity: Helicopter ride around Kauai from nearby Princeville Airport.
- While you're there: Take the on-course Sunset Tour. This self-driven cart ride ($70 per 2-person cart) hits five scenic points.
- Insider tip: Tradewinds usually kick up around 10 a.m. and keep blowing until 4 p.m.
Resort golf doesn’t get more spectacular or more fragrant (thanks to ubiquitous plumeria) than at Makai Golf Club, on Kauai’s North Shore, an hour north of Lihue Airport. There’s mind-blowing beauty at just about every turn on the Robert Trent Jones Jr. design, starting at the downhill tee shot on the par-3 3rd with a backdrop of Hanalei Bay and soaring mountains. There are six Instagram-worthy oceanfront holes, led by the par-3 7th (miss short or right and watch your ball plummet almost 400 feet to the waves below), where a flock of fuzzy baby albatross reside near the cart path. Towering mature trees frame many fairways and provide a memorable backdrop on the par-5 18th. The Princeville Resort, located just a mile away, has equally memorable views, especially from the infinity pool that looks out onto the North Shore. Make your way down to the beach for a splash in the water or surfing lesson. Then cap the day with a sunset dinner on the Makana Terrace.