- Location: Bretton Woods, NH
- Rooms: 200
- Courses: Two
- Amenities: Four restaurants / spa / pools / skiing
- Also good for: Best for Families (#5)
6 things you need to know
- Best time to go: April through Aug. is best for golf; winter for skiing.
- Daily stay-and-plays start at: $249
- Golf experience: 27 holes at the excellent Mount Washington GC and the nine-hole Mount Pleasant course.
- Best non-golf amenity: It’s hard to beat a lazy afternoon in a rocker on the wraparound porch.
- While you're there: Take a scenic chairlift ride to the mid-mountain Latitude 44 degree restaurant for an outrageously scenic lunch or local brew.
- Insider tip: The hallway walls are lined with photographs that capture the history of this New England gem. Soak them up.
Like a favorite old uncle with a haircut and fashionable new duds, the Mount Washington Resort, which has welcomed generations of New England travelers, has benefited greatly from a sprucing up — and the millions new owner Omni has pumped into it. The venue, first opened in 1902, still maintains its old-world charm — particularly in the ornate dining room, where live music is performed nightly. Also featured is an upgraded spa and a fine 18-hole Donald Ross original (1915). The resort’s spectacular wrap-around porch allows the scenery to stream in. And as New Hampshire’s largest ski area, skiing is the name of the game in the wintertime The new eight-passenger gondola debuts this season.