- Location: Austin, TX
- Rooms: 493
- Courses: One
- Amenities: Three restaurants / pool / spa
- Also good for: Best for Buddies
6 things you need to know
- Best time to go: Spring and fall are the most popular for golf.
- Daily stay-and-plays start at: $500
- Golf experience: An embarrassment of riches: two courses by Tom Fazio, one by Ben Crenshaw, one off-site by Arnold Palmer.
- Best non-golf amenity: The new multi-floor Mokara Spa with views of the Texas Hill Country.
- While you're there: A visit to 6th Street — the live music capital of Texas — is a must.
- Insider tip: If you make it to nearby Texas BBQ shrine Salt Lick, it’s cash only, no exceptions.
Recently reopened after a nearly year-long, $150-million renovation, the original golf resort in the scenic Hill Country has been reborn as one of the area’s grandest and most luxurious. New owner Omni added a third lodging tower and a huge new spa along with four pools, including one indoor. Thankfully there is no change to the scenic rolling scenery or to the great golf offerings. Both Tom Fazio courses — the original design next to the resort and the Canyons a mile away — have been ranked the Nos. 1 and 2 public courses in the state. The Ben Crenshaw course across the street from the resort, designed by the native son and longtime Barton Creek visitor, has Texas-sized greens and dramatic views. The fourth course, Barton Creek Lakeside, is 30 minutes from the resort, near Willie Nelson’s private layout.