- Location: Horseshoe Bay, TX
- Rooms: 400
- Courses: Three
- Amenities: Eight restaurants / three pools / spa / lake activities
- Also good for: Best for Families
6 things you need to know
- Best time to go: Spring and fall are perfect for golf; summer is prime for water sports.
- Daily stay-and-plays start at: $299
- Golf experience: Three 18s—Apple Rock, Ram Rock and Slick Rock—designed by famed architect Robert Trent Jones, Sr.
- Best non-golf amenity: The massive Lake LBJ is adjacent to the resort and offers all manner of boating activities and watery fun.
- While you're there: Nearby Marble Falls is a classic Texas Hill Country town with shops to explore and good eats like the Blue Bonnet Cafe.
- Insider tip: Golfer or not, you and your family will have a blast on the lighted, natural grass, 18-hole putting course.
The founding site of the Texas Hill Country golf boom, still going strong after 40 years, is in better shape than ever with three newly renovated courses built by legendary architect Robert Trent Jones, Sr. Local legend has it that after building the Apple and Slick Rock courses, Jones heard some members smirk that the courses were more scenic than difficult and Jones vowed to fix that with the Ram Rock Golf Course, annually rated as one the toughest design in Texas. Lodging options, from the hotel tower to the adjacent condos, have evolved in quality over the years to match the golf offerings. There are also two outstanding private courses adjacent to Horseshoe Bay, the Escondido Golf & Lake Club featuring a Tom Fazio stunning design and the Summit Rock Course designed by Jack Nicklaus. There’s a full-service private airstrip just a couple of miles from the resort where you can go from runway to tee in less than 30 minutes.