- Location: White Sulphur Springs, WV
- Rooms: 710
- Courses: Three
- Amenities: 18 restaurants and bars / spa / pool / fitness center / casino
- Also good for: All-Around Excellence (#2)
6 things you need to know
- Best time to go: A year-round retreat, The Greenbrier is popular during fall and spring months.
- Daily stay-and-plays start at: $549
- Golf experience: The Old White TPC and The Greenbrier are the two 18-hole, bucket-list must-plays here.
- Best non-golf amenity: The Greenbrier Casino Club has 37 tables and 320 different slot machines to test your luck.
- While you're there: Tour the declassified Bunker at The Greenbrier — a Cold War-era emergency fallout shelter.
- Insider tip: Heads up: The dress code is taken seriously in certain areas of the hotel — though you can certainly head to the gym or get a cup of coffee without your Sunday best.
The iconic Greenbrier is steeped heavily in historic charm and old-fashioned elegance. The guest list of VIPs, presidents and other dignitaries is unlike anywhere else on earth — so, too, is the underground “Fall Out Bunker” designed to keep the 1,100 members and staff of the U.S. Congress safe in the event of a catastrophe. There’s outdoor recreation, a casino, spa — the 11,000 acre Greenbrier is a resort behemoth. That said, it’s the golf that makes the Greenbrier truly memorable, starting with the Greenbrier Course, host of the 1979 Ryder Cup and 1994 Solheim Cup. Jack Nicklaus revamped the original Seth Raynor design back in 1977, resulting in a venerable challenge carved out of dense wooded areas. It’s a shot-shaper’s paradise. The Old White TPC course opened in 1914, designed by C.B. Macdonald, considered the patriarch of modern American course architecture. Ironically, many of its holes are homages to classic links inventions from across the pond: the Redan green from North Berwick and the Eden green from St. Andrews. The course is also home to A Military Tribute at the Greenbrier — a player and fan-favorite event on the PGA Tour.
Nicklaus Design and GOLF.com are affiliates of 8AM Golf.