- Location: Wailea, HI
- Rooms: 756
- Courses: Three
- Amenities: Five restaurants / spa / tennis / pool / beach
- Also good for: All-Around Excellence
6 things you need to know
- Best time to go: Year-round; prioritize spring or late fall to take advantage of more temperate weather and to avoid summer crowds.
- Daily stay-and-plays start at: $650
- Golf experience: Of Wailea Golf Club’s three breezy courses — Gold, Emerald and Blue — the Emerald offers the friendliest test.
- Best non-golf amenity: The incredible pool complex — with multiple waterslides, rapids and a rope swing — will make you forget the beach.
- While you're there: Order a Mai Tai from the ultra-cool swim-up grotto bar.
- Insider tip: Wailea resort guests can take advantage of discounted golf rates at Wailea Golf Club.
The Grand Wailea hotel, set on 40 acres of oceanfront property, was fittingly designed to resemble a sea turtle exiting the ocean. If you take advantage of the resort’s complimentary scuba and snorkel lessons, you may spot a real live turtle for yourself. Each room is beautifully appointed in traditional yet contemporary island style, and features private lanais and tranquil, scenic vistas of the surrounding resort gardens or the ocean. Also onsite: 15 shops, five restaurants (don’t miss a sunset experience at floating lagoon eatery Humuhumunukunukuapua’a) and a 50,000-square-foot (!) spa. “Spa Grande” deserves special mention. It’s Hawaii’s largest and offers a stunning ambiance, an extensive menu of massage, facial and body therapies, and five glorious specialty baths. When it comes to golf, you can’t go wrong with the three options available at the nearby Wailea Golf Club. The Gold, Emerald and Blue courses all offer panoramic ocean views, with the Gold presenting the stiffest challenge, and the Emerald, the friendliest.