- Location: Boca Grande, FL
- Rooms: 100
- Courses: One
- Amenities: Three restaurants / pool / spa / tennis / beach club
- Also good for: All-Around Excellence
6 things you need to know
- Best time to go: December through April is peak "social season."
- Daily stay-and-plays start at: $450
- Golf experience: 18-hole Pete Dye-renovated golf course.
- Best non-golf amenity: The Beach Club, situated right on the Gulf of Mexico serving poolside cocktails.
- While you're there: Head to Inn Adventures for kayaking and stand-up paddle boarding.
- Insider tip: The Inn is closing for renovations starting in the summer of 2020.
Historic Gasparilla Inn and Club is rare in every sense of the word. The 106-year-old member of the Historic Hotels of America evokes a bygone era of Florida seldom seen on either coast. The columned, wood manor house anchors this idyllic getaway about 50 miles south of Sarasota. The Pete Dye-designed golf course that skirts the edge of Charlotte Harbor is walking-friendly, player-friendly and altogether a different shade of Dye. Originally built in 1929, Dye reworked the 6,811-yard layout in 2004-’05, including the installation of saltwater tolerant Paspalum turf. Regulars will tell you tell you that the ever-changing wind speed and direction combine to create a new test daily. Stiff breezes off the Harbor seemingly hold approach shots — and seagulls — in mid-air. Post round, head to the charming Pink Elephant onsite for dinner and drinks.