- Location: Roscommon, MI
- Rooms: 40
- Courses: Two (plus a putting course and a par-3 course in the works)
- Amenities: Cottages / two restaurants / pool / outdoor actives
- Also good for: Best for Buddies
6 things you need to know
- Best time to go: The ideal golf experience here is summer to early fall.
- Daily stay-and-plays start at: $255
- Golf experience: Forest Dunes golf course opened in 2002 to rave reviews; The Loop is one of only two totally reversible layouts in the U
- Best non-golf amenity: A 45-minute on-site casting class to learn how to properly mine the local fishing lakes.
- While you're there: Schedule a full- or half-day float trip on the North or South Branch of the Au Sable River.
- Insider tip: Electric golf carts are now allowed on the reversible Loop course.
Former British Open champion Tom Weiskopf helped put this bit of Northern Michigan on the map in 2002 with his Forest Dunes course which is annually ranked as one of the best designs in Michigan. But architect Tom Doak took it over the top in 2016 when he opened The Loop, one of only two fully reversible 18-hole courses in the U.S. (Oregon’s Silvies Valley Ranch is the other). The acclaim for The Loop, which can come at you from all directions, has been universal. The two-acre Hilltop putting course and a par-3 course, which will open in 2020, completes a most unique golf experience. The original Forest Dunes Course has two distinct nines with a par of 72 that’s stretches to more than 7,200 yards from back tees. Feel free to sleep in. The commute from Lake Ausable Lodge to the first tee at Forest Dunes is all of 35 yards. The cabin-style villas and cottages, perfect for buddy trips.